I missed two days of vegan mofo :(. Not only did my recipe tests NOT work, but I had work, and then last night when I planned on mofo-ing I got called in to cover for someone.
Ahh, the joys of working in the restaurant business (although getting raw vegan food redeems the unpredictable schedules substantially;))
When I am tired and hungry after a day of work, I want a snack that seems like a treat… so I turn to my favorite little puffy friend:
This is such a versatile snack, and is fact a valuable part of your diet, given that it is popcorn is a whole-grain. To make popcorn brainless and fast, I enlist my friend Mr. Popper;
He pops my popcorn without the need for oil, which cuts calories and makes a blank canvas for whatever flavors I may or may not wish to sprinkle on top. More often than not, I like my popcorn plain. If I feel like eating forever, I pop a HUGE bowl that I munch on while doing an activity or task. However, if you want some extra pop and sizzle in you bowl, try these healthy options:
- Sprinkle on cinnamon and stevia for a sweet treat.
- For savory fare, dribble tamari soy sauce onto your popcorn (I like the soggy bits) and top with nutritional yeast.
- Mix in some dried fruit (raisins!) and nuts for a trail mix of sorts.
- Just can’t go without salt? Accompany that with some fresh cracked black pepper for a flavor boost.
- Feeling super naughty? Drizzle chocolate sauce, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, or molasses atop you bowl of crunch for a sticky treat that can stand in for dessert any day.
The above photo is from this past summer, when my little sister and I really wanted to go out for ice cream (vegan for me) but had no money. So we made chocolate sauce, and drenched popcorn in it, along with dried fruit and nuts. Yum yum!
What is your go-to snack?